This year I did Operation Christmas Child with Charity! I am so glad we did it together! It is definitely something I would recommend anyone to do with their children! In case you don't know what it is, Operation Christmas Child is a Christian program that collects shoe boxes from all across America filled with toys and hygiene items and delivers them to poor children in third world countries. Anyone can fill a shoe box and drop it off at one of their hundreds of drop off sites. Anyway, it was a wonderful thing to get to do with Charity and she learned a lot about giving. When I took her to the store to buy items for the box, it was so cute to see her get excited about giving things that she wanted for herself to a little girl who doesn't have many nice things. I felt so blessed by her willing and giving spirit as she picked out a princess doll, princess tooth brush and tooth paste, puzzle, stickers, hair clips and other special items to put in the box. Also, what a wonderful teaching opportunity it was, for Philip and I, to be able to tell her that not everyone in the world is as blessed as we are. It's even humbling for me to think of how much I take for granted. The Lord is constantly doing little things for me and my family that I never take the time to thank Him for! Sometimes I think we just think it's fate or a coincident instead of realizing how much the Lord looks after us.
Well, this post was just to share about how this program helped Charity (and Felicity too) learn a valuable lesson on giving but I think there are things we (or at least I) can all learn about giving even through such a simple thing as giving a gift to a child in need.
Here's what Charity picked out for our box.
No comments:
Post a Comment